Our Latest Online Backup Reviews:Vembu SyncBlaze
Industry LinksTools and Graphs
12 May 2011
UK code of practice on data sharing launched
London, UK, May 11, 2011 –/BackupReview.info/– A new statutory code of practice designed to help businesses and public sector bodies share people’s personal information appropriately has been published today by the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO).
The ICO’s data sharing code of practice covers both routine and one-off instances of data sharing. It includes good practice advice that will be helpful to all organisations that share personal information - for example, when local authorities share information with the health service or when building societies provide information to a credit reference agency. The code gives advice on when and how personal information can be shared as well as how to keep it secure.
The ICO consulted on a draft code last October. A number of changes and improvements have been made, including the addition of more public and private sector case studies to explain practically how the Data Protection Act applies to data sharing.
Along with the full code of practice, the ICO has also published a summary checklist that can be used as a quick reference guide to sharing information.
By following the code, organisations should find they have:
Information Commissioner, Christopher Graham, said:
“The code of practice we have issued today offers a best practice approach that can be applied in all sectors. It reflects the constructive comments we received during the consultation period, meaning that we can be confident that it not only makes sense on paper but will also work in the real world too. I’d encourage all businesses and public bodies that share personal data to get to grips with the code without delay so they can be sure they are getting it right.”
If you need more information, please contact the ICO press office on 0303 123 9070 or visit the website at: www.ico.gov.uk.
Notes to Editors
1. The data sharing code of practice is available on the ICO website here:
2. The summary checklist is available on the ICO website here:
3. The Information Commissioner’s Office upholds information rights in the public interest, promoting openness by public bodies and data privacy for individuals.
4. The ICO has specific responsibilities set out in the Data Protection Act 1998, the Freedom of Information Act 2000, Environmental Information Regulations 2004 and Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations 2003.
5. The ICO is on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn, and produces a monthly e-newsletter. Our For the media page provides more information for journalists.
6. Anyone who processes personal information must comply with eight principles of the Data Protection Act, which make sure that personal information is:
General Tags: CEO interviews, backing up online, online file storage, online backup services, online backup companies, online backup news, cloud computing, SaaS, data storage, compare online backups, online file backup, top rated online backups, online data backup, software as a service, online backup, data security, online backup providers directory, online backup reviews
Like us on Facebook
Sponsored Links:Data Deposit Box Asigra