Our Latest Online Backup Reviews:Vembu SyncBlaze
Industry LinksTools and Graphs
MARLBOROUGH, MA, Feb 14, 2012 –/BackupReview.info/– The volume of data generated by most companies has grown at such an explosive rate that many data centers have simply run out of space, power, cooling, and storage capacity to handle it. In large enterprise organizations with “Big Backup” environments, the sheer volume and variety of data to be protected requires a level of performance and scalability that few data protection technologies can deliver.
Tweet this: @SEPATON outlines key questions for large enterprises about #Big Backup http://bit.ly/zTojPA
Jeff Tofano, CTO, SEPATON, Inc., recommends large enterprises look closely at the strengths and weaknesses of deduplication technologies to choose a solution that best meets the needs of Big Backup environments.
“Data center challenges of keeping up with exponential data growth within budget, space, power and cooling constraints are being compounded by increasingly stringent regulatory requirements and business initiatives demanding higher service levels, longer online retention times, and higher levels of data protection,” said Tofano. “There are several deduplication technologies available to meet the needs of small to medium-sized organizations. However, for large enterprise organizations with Big Backup environments, most deduplication technologies fall short — resulting in costly, inefficient capacity reduction and time-consuming administration. Understanding the distinctions among these technologies is essential for choosing the most appropriate one for Big Backup.”
Tofano recommends that large enterprises ask their backup technology vendor the following ten questions to help them gain a clear understanding of the strengths and drawbacks of each option so that they can choose one that best meets their Big Backup requirements:
1. What impact will deduplication have on backup performance – both now and over time?
2. Will deduplication degrade restore performance?
3. How will capacity and performance scale as the environment grows?
4. How efficient is the deduplication technology for large databases (e.g., Oracle, SAP, SQL Server)?
5. How efficient is the deduplication technology in progressive incremental backup environments such as Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) and in NetBackup OST?
6. What are realistic expectations for capacity reduction given the high data change rate common in Big Backup environments?
7. Can administrators monitor backup, deduplication, replication, and restore processes enterprise-wide?
8. Can deduplication help reduce replication bandwidth requirements for large enterprise data volumes without slowing backup performance?
9. Can IT “tune” deduplication by data type to meet their specific needs?
10. How much experience does the vendor have with large enterprise backup applications such as Symantec NetBackup/OST and TSM?
For more details, a white paper titled, “Choosing an Enterprise-Class Deduplication Technology” is available for download here: http://go.sepaton.com/2011_White_Paper_Dedupe_10Qs.html
*Note to Editors: Jeff Tofano, CTO, SEPATON, Inc., is available for interviews about Big Backup
About SEPATON, Inc.
As exponential data growth continues, SEPATON is the only vendor positioned to keep pace with a cost effective platform. These powerful, massively scalable solutions are used in the largest enterprises in the world. SEPATON’s is headquartered in Marlborough, MA, and has international offices in London and Beijing. For additional information call 866-SEPATON or visit http://www.sepaton.com .
SEPATON, S2100, DeltaRemote, and DeltaStor are registered trademarks and ContentAware and DeltaScale are trademarks of SEPATON, Inc. All other brand and product names are or may be trademarks of their respective owners.
General Tags: top rated online backups, backing up online, online backup companies, online backup reviews, online file backup, online data backup, online backup news, cloud computing, online file storage, software as a service, SaaS, compare online backups, online backup, data security, data storage, online backup services, online backup providers directory, CEO interviews
Like us on Facebook
Sponsored Links:Data Deposit Box Asigra Bacula Systems