Our Latest Online Backup Reviews:Vembu SyncBlaze
Industry LinksTools and Graphs
Data Insight 3.0 Creates Accountability for Unstructured Information Governance
MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. – March 12, 2012 –/BackupReview.info/– Symantec Corp. (Nasdaq: SYMC) today announced Symantec Data Insight 3.0, the latest version of its solution that improves information governance by providing intelligence into ownership and usage of unstructured data such as documents, presentations, spreadsheets and emails. Enhancements to Symantec Data Insight help organizations transform storage operations and simplify information governance processes to reduce costs, reduce risk and achieve compliance.
Read more detailed blog posts:
According to Gartner, the growth rate of data is 40 to 60 percent; but for unstructured data in the enterprise, the growth rate can be up to 80 percent¹ and is becoming increasingly difficult to manage and protect. IT organizations are faced with seemingly impossible data governance objectives to reduce costs, reduce risk and achieve compliance. IT lacks the business context for the data and must engage the data owners who best understand the value of the data. However, challenges in understanding who owns the data and how it is being used impact IT’s ability to operationalize data governance.
Symantec Data Insight addresses these challenges by continuously monitoring data usage and enabling rule-based inferences for data ownership. Understanding how data is being used enables effective unstructured data management operations – facilitating tasks such as reclamation and chargeback. By assigning data ownership, IT organizations can establish a framework for collaboration with the business to address data governance objectives. Since the initial launch, Symantec has seen broad adoption and use of Data Insight to reduce storage costs, simplify protection of critical data, and meet compliance.
Click to Tweet: Symantec Helps Organizations Get Control of Runaway Data Growth with Data Insight 3.0: http://bit.ly/AoQIh8
Transform Storage Operations
Empower the Business
* Data Custodian Management: Data Insight helps automate the discovery and management of custodians for unstructured data within the business. IT can automatically engage the custodians with valuable usage, permissions, and classification reporting and analytics, empowering the business to become better stewards of an organization’s resources.
* Managing Data Growth: Data Insight automates custodian reviews of inactive or orphan data facilitating storage remediation actions, such as deletion, archival, or migration as well as assisting with data retention guidelines based on data ownership classification. Data Insight’s ownership and usage capabilities help organizations build a consumption-based chargeback model to promote accountability for efficient use of the storage.
* Protecting Confidential Data: Symantec continues to strengthen the integration between Symantec Data Insight and Symantec Data Loss Prevention. Features such as risk scoring and sensitive data alerts, combine Data Loss Prevention’s content-awareness with Data Insight’s usage and permissions analysis to help prioritize remediation of data based on risk. Data Insight’s custodian management feature will streamline the risk remediation process, especially important given the rapid growth of unstructured data.
* Governing Access to Data: Through Data Insight’s integration with the Aveksa Access Governance suite, organizations can easily establish business processes to control who can access key data resources across the enterprise. By incorporating the ownership and access information discovered by Symantec’s Data Insight into the Aveksa system, organizations can more easily and efficiently achieve compliance and better enforce access policies.
Data Insight provides comprehensive support for leading platforms such as NetApp NAS, EMC NAS, Windows File Servers, Microsoft SharePoint, and Unix File Servers with Veritas Storage Foundation file system. Data Insight also provides support for leading directory services, such as Microsoft Active Directory, LDAP, and NIS/NIS+.
* “Data Insight has given us a better understanding of how unstructured data is being created, used, stored, and retained,” said Starla Rivers, Sr. Information Security Architect, Sharp HealthCare. “With the integration between Data Insight and Symantec’s Data Loss Prevention solution, we are able to identify and manage data by content, access, age and risk. This allows us to work with the business custodians to protect that data through tighter access controls and a clean-up process. This is helping us with our data governance objectives of gaining efficiency and reducing risk.”
* “NetApp and Symantec are committed to delivering innovative solutions that help our mutual customers employ new strategies to manage, retain and protect growing data volumes,” said Chris Cummings, vice president, products and solutions marketing, NetApp. “The combined strengths of Symantec Data Insight integrated with NetApp’s high performance storage systems enables organizations to better understand who owns information, how it’s being accessed, and how it’s being used to accelerate the business. This in-depth understanding helps customers efficiently manage data growth, make better decisions and drive successful business outcomes at the speed of today’s business.”
* “Data Insight provides visibility into the who and how as context to ‘eating the elephant.’ Our enterprise customers large and small find the task of classifying information somewhat insurmountable based upon volume, complexity, and lack of visibility,” said Marc Johnson, Practice Director for Data Center Management and Storage, Creative Breakthroughs, Inc. “Data Insight’s ownership and usage analytics help organizations link security, storage, and compliance in an unprecedented way. Never before have the walls crumbled between IT security and IT storage the way that Data Insight incites.”
* “With Symantec Data Insight and Aveksa integrated together, organizations can safely and efficiently delegate access decisions to the line-of-business custodians, while ensuring compliance with controls and constraints defined by Information Security,” said Deepak Taneja, CTO at Aveksa. “Symantec Data Insight provides information on data resource ownership, classification and usage, and Aveksa leverages this to provide business-user-friendly access activities, including certification, access request, and access remediation. The end result is a full lifecycle management system for controlling enterprise access to applications and data. ”
* “Data Insight demonstrates innovation and integration across Symantec’s security and storage portfolio,” said Vivian Tero, Program Director for Governance, Risk and Compliance, IDC. “Data Insight’s data ownership and usage analysis benefits both storage and security stakeholders, by enabling efficient management of data growth to reduce cost and simplifying protection of sensitive data, regardless of where it is stored.”
* “It is difficult for most organizations to identify the data owners for a majority of the unstructured data in their organization,” said Don Angspatt, vice president, product management, Storage and Availability Management Group, Symantec Corp. “Data Insight 3.0 enables our customers to not only identify data owners but also automatically engage them to reduce storage management costs, achieve compliance, and facilitate data protection, thereby increasing the effectiveness of an organization’s data governance initiatives.”
Pricing and Availability
Connect with Symantec
About Storage and Availability Management from Symantec
Note to Editors: If you would like additional information on Symantec Corporation and its products, please visit the Symantec News Room at http://www.symantec.com/news. All prices noted are in U.S. dollars and are valid only in the United States.
Symantec and the Symantec Logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Symantec Corporation or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
Forward-looking Statements: Any forward-looking indication of plans for products is preliminary and all future release dates are tentative and are subject to change. Any future release of the product or planned modifications to product capability, functionality, or feature are subject to ongoing evaluation by Symantec, and may or may not be implemented and should not be considered firm commitments by Symantec and should not be relied upon in making purchasing decisions.
¹ Gartner, IT Market Clock for Storage, 2011, Sept 6, 2011
TECHNORATI TAGS: Symantec, Storage, Data Insight, Security, Data Loss Prevention, Compliance, Information Governance, Data Governance, Data Protection, Chargebacks, Unstructured data, storage management
General Tags: online backup, data storage, online file storage, online backup providers directory, data security, backing up online, online backup reviews, SaaS, online data backup, online backup services, cloud computing, online backup news, online file backup, CEO interviews, compare online backups, online backup companies, top rated online backups, software as a service
Like us on Facebook
Sponsored Links:Data Deposit Box Asigra Bacula Systems