Our Latest Online Backup Reviews:Vembu SyncBlaze
Industry LinksTools and Graphs
By Alexander Eiriksson, COO at Securstore Online Backup
Securstore Online Data Backup Expert Tips: Automating Policy-based Tiered Storage in the Cloud
“Policy based automated tiered cloud storage solutions” address a number of challenges thrown up by data storage in the cloud. The process improves capacity utilization and institutes cost control systems by categorizing and eliminating repeated backup of data that has little or no value to the organization. The policy based file identification rules ensure that only mission-critical files are transferred to primary storage, non-mission critical files to secondary storage, and historical data to cheaper storage systems without compromising on the security and integrity of the data.
Cloud tiering applications can be managed from a single administrative console that has a span of control over the entire network. Policy definitions can be made to have a local or universal application or sets of data can be excluded or included in a policy definition. The applications often support multiple policy types or combination of policy types. The impact of the policies can also be tested/ simulated before implementation.
Research indicates that policy based automatic tiered cloud storage benefits enterprises in a number of ways:
1. There is an obvious reduction in capital expenditure as amounts spent on NAS systems can be dispensed with or avoided. Data can be moved from the existing NAS systems to low cost SATA drives for a predictable monthly charge. This charge is often half the cost of the NAS system.
2. Data mirroring and data replication times can be reduced as only mission-critical data needs to be replicated or mirrored into alternate servers for high availability and redundancy. There are cost and time savings.
3. Operational expenses, too, take a nose drive as IT personnel do not have to spend time in wading through volumes of historical and non mission-critical information to get at information that is vital to the business. This frees up time and improves efficiency.
4. Data migration for platform conversions or technology changes is simplified as mission-critical data can be moved quickly and smoothly. Non mission-critical data and historical data can be moved more leisurely.
5. Disaster recovery is simpler as mission-critical information can be instantly accessed from the remote server for business continuity and instantly downloaded at a minimum cost to organization.
6. Automated policy based tiered cloud storage systems are designed to support large or small networks and work efficiently whatever the size of the network.
Securstore provides a bespoke offsite backup solution catered for customers who have both mission-critical data and non-critical data i.e. it provides customers with a secure & efficient backup and recovery solution which is sustainable over time. This coupled with agentless technology and advanced support for all environments and applications makes it suitable for any type of business, data centre provider or reseller.
Watch Securstore video – guided tours here:
About the Author: Alexander Eiriksson is the COO of Securstore, an Asigra based cloud backup provider certified by British Standards Institute for ISO 27001 and ANAB. Established in 1991, Securstore provides businesses and enterprise customers a technically advanced solution in UK, Europe, USA, Africa, Asia and the Middle East.
General Tags: data security, data storage, SaaS, backing up online, top rated online backups, online backup providers directory, online file backup, online file storage, online backup news, online backup reviews, cloud computing, compare online backups, software as a service, online data backup, online backup services, CEO interviews, online backup, online backup companies
Like us on Facebook
Sponsored Links:Data Deposit Box Asigra