Our Latest Online Backup Reviews:Vembu SyncBlaze
Industry LinksTools and Graphs
London, UK, Jan. 24, 2013 — /BackupReview.info/ — The entertainment company Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Limited has received a monetary penalty of £250,000 from the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) following a serious breach of the Data Protection Act.
The penalty comes after the Sony PlayStation Network Platform was hacked in April 2011, compromising the personal information of millions of customers, including their names, addresses, email addresses, dates of birth and account passwords. Customers’ payment card details were also at risk.
An ICO investigation found that the attack could have been prevented if the software had been up-to-date, while technical developments also meant passwords were not secure.
David Smith, Deputy Commissioner and Director of Data Protection, said:
Following the breach, Sony has rebuilt its Network Platform to ensure that the personal information it processes is kept secure.
View a copy of today’s monetary penalty notice, which includes further details about the case.
View a YouTube video clip of David Smith commenting on the penalty.
(NB: playing YouTube video sets a cookie – more info.)
Notes to Editors
1. The Information Commissioner’s Office upholds information rights in the public interest, promoting openness by public bodies and data privacy for individuals.
2. The ICO has specific responsibilities set out in the Data Protection Act 1998, the Freedom of Information Act 2000, Environmental Information Regulations 2004 and Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations 2003.
3. The ICO is on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn, and produces a monthly e-newsletter.
4. Anyone who processes personal information must comply with eight principles of the Data Protection Act, which make sure that personal information is:
5. For more information, please contact the ICO press office on 0303 123 9070.
General Tags: top rated online backups, online backup providers directory, backing up online, cloud computing, online backup reviews, SaaS, online backup services, data security, data storage, online backup, CEO interviews, online backup news, online file backup, online data backup, online backup companies, software as a service, compare online backups, online file storage
Like us on Facebook
Sponsored Links:Data Deposit Box Asigra